Sunday, September 8, 2013

A LETTER ABOUT INJUSTICE AND PLEA FOR HELP


This letter is posted for the readers to get a feeling of the struggle going on within the DCFplantation. In the future more letters and documents will highlight a continual theme of struggle and workplace bullying.



The Honorable Richard Blumenthal
90 State House Square, 10th Floor
Hartford, CT 06103

January 9, 2013

Dear Senator Blumenthal,

I remember several years ago you called me in Hartford and left the following message, “Reverend Lewis you are doing a courageous job [ridding the Northend of drug dealers] if you ever need assistance with anything let me know." I always thought it was thoughtful for a man of your importance to personally call a person in Hartford to wish him well. I never asked for your help then, but I'm asking now.

On January 9, 2013 I called your Hartford office and spoke with a lady about racial injustice towards employees of color in the Department of Children and Families. She informed me that your office cannot intervene due to the fact DCF gets funding through the state not federally.

There are two issues I wish to bring to your attention 1). racial discrimination within DCF toward employees is well documented. However, there is little movement toward resolving this issue. 2). I have organized employees to address this issue at my place of employment Connecticut Juvenile Training School in Middletown, CT [a class action lawsuit was filed by five employees of CJTS 2 years ago.] Since then, my activism has often caused management to provide extra scrutiny toward me.

At this time DCF management is seeking to retaliate against me by ending my employment [by using policy & procedure over an incident within CJTS] and making it impossible for me to work with youth in the future. 

Senator Blumenthal, a call from your office to William Rosenbeck, Superintendent Connecticut Juvenile Training School (860) 638-2401 would certainly help. Just asking what is going on as it relates to racial bias and retaliation towards me lets management know someone of influence is watching.

You have always stood up for the struggling mass of humanity in Greater Hartford. Please do so now.

Sincerely,



Minister Cornell Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment